Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M140iGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto2k3 View Post
Got an update from fscmaps.com for full screen CarPlay. Haven't installed it yet though.

For you techies our there, any idea how the update works? I've spent a bit of time on it and it appears to download an encrypted container file from your car using the ENET cable and odb2 port. I believe the container is encrypted using the VIN number of the car. Assuming one could decrypt and mount this container would there simply be a carplay.ini file there that needs to be edited for resolution changes? I suspect that when BMW pushes an update they just overwrite the container with a new one which would explain why another fullscreen update is required. If anyone has any experience working with ECU / FSC binary files please PM me. I'm curious more than anything at this point.
If you already have CarPlay from BMW and are just making it full screen, what basically happens is you are updating the resolution setting which is saved with in a file on the EVO.

If you activate CarPlay via the 3rd party method you are basically injecting fake FSC codes and tricking the system into thinking they are real. This is why there is a risk with this because FSC codes don't get deleted when the car is updated but the rest of the software does. So when the car is updated the stock software tries to read the fake FSC codes and rejects them. Then your nav stops working, along with other FSC activated features on your EVO.
Thanks for the reply. I already have carplay so it's just a matter of fullscreen. I started getting curious how this works when I saw the ECU binary file I exported was around 98k and the .evo file I got back from fscmaps.com after sending them my ECU was about 1.3M. They have a custom application that is used to connect to the car and load the binary back called FemTOEVO. I also noticed that it had my VIN number and serial number in a header file which I assume is used either as a crypto key or some kind of checksum. I'd like to know what changes are being made to my car over just blindly loading another binary file (probably slightly too paranoid). Fscmaps does provide very good service and they seem really knowledgable. When I asked about updates they said it was completely fine to update but I'm not sure if it would persist the update.

When the update happens from BMW what is actually happening? Does it replace all of the firmware and operating system container with a new one? Where are the FSC codes stored if they persist an update?

How many people here have used fscmaps.com? Just curious.
Appreciate 0