06-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #94
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I guess this belief is where your perspective derives from. It couldn't be more incorrect. I mean no disrespect, because I'd probably think the same way if I were in your position.

While I'm teased by the thought on including commercial projects to completely dominate this point, I don't have to. MDU (multi-dwelling unit), spec homes, and even design-build categories are mostly just using lighting control and maybe a connected thermostat and video doorbell. They can even do this with a "lick and stick" alarm system like 2GIG offers if they want to get down and dirty. Most people don't care about distributed audio, never mind demanding it be integrated into a central control system. Distributed video really is going the way of the buggywhip anyway. As a trained audio engineer, self-confessed audiophile, video connoisseur, and hardware geek that would love nothing more than build an epic AV setup; believe me when I say, easily +80% don't care about AV at all. A simple TV with perhaps an Apple TV or Amazon streamer is all they want. Even if they do decide they want to build a theater or media room, a single room solution is all that's generally required. Again this is coming from a pro experienced in regularly building six-figure home theaters.

Loxone is perfect for exactly this majority of the market. We make a home truly smart, that why we call it a "Real Smart Home." People are striving to build the most technically advanced and efficient structures possible. I wholeheartedly believe Loxone addresses this desire better than any other solution available.

Consolidation is a topic in itself. How much do you integrate things? Sometimes I challenge designers as to if "the juice is worth the squeeze." Do we really improve things with the complexity and expense of consolidation? Did we just consolidate our problems? One system fails and I lose everything!?! To prove this point in an extreme way- I know of at least one very high-end Loxone Partner that runs separate Loxone hardware (same app and invisible to the end user) to run lighting and HVAC.
I have to say the Loxone lack of "retrofit" capability even on pre-wired new construction is a serious downside. Basically, your system is only suitable for builders prepared to integrate it during the build, so your target market is really builders and architects, not end users.
Appreciate 0