12-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #38
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
That’s a good solution.

I’ve had the chance to use the wireless charging quite a bit over the holiday. I don’t think it’s much slower than wired, seems to be able to do the standard 7.5W which isn’t far from normal iPhone charging. It could be much slower if your wired charge is a QuickCharge or equivalent Android phone, but iPhones have much smaller batteries and haven’t really needed quick charge yet, even wired they don’t do high-watt charging.

I find it really handy to have the wireless charging, though as pointed out you don’t need to pay for the integrated one. I went ahead and got it because:

1) There’s something to be said for having a nice integrated charger as stock, it looks nice and the car knows the phone is there and will remind you.

2) it’s more than just the charging, you get enhanced Bluetooth and an extra USB port.

3) As with everything else on the car, the cost isn’t $500. If you’re leasing the cost is 30 something percent of that or whatever your residual dictates, if you’re purchasing then there may be some value to the BT and charging for the next owner. Unless you buy a car and keep it to its grave you’re always only paying a portion of the cost.
Appreciate 0