12-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #24
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
I think it’s a must have for that 2nd USB jack in the center armrest console, not just for charging but it’s connection to the iDrive com and media connections. I was actually shocked to see that mine contained only a light in it!

We did pick up a space gray/black faced 128gb iPod Touch for music that will live inside the shallow front console compartment. It is so small and thin I needed only to find a 12” right angled USB-A to lighting cable to keep it plugged in and neatly hidden under the slider/cover.

I wonder if the port for that 2nd cable to the armrest console is live but for the simple hardwire connection to it.
I believe it would have to also be coded so that it would actually show up in iDrive. Not totally related, but when I had Enhanced BT coded in my car it also now gave me a media connection called "Snap-In Adapter" which is what I had in my old X3 that had a snap-in adapter for an iPhone. I don't have that now, but it's funny that it appears and it does nothing. I think the second USB would show up as USB2 or something.

I just got a compact 128GB USB drive and leave it plugged in to the USB port in the front console and have music and videos in it. For charging when needed, I use a fast charge adapter for the lighter outlet.

If I had the second USB port, I would probably plug the USB drive in the center armrest, but I'm not actually sure what I would use the front USB port for since it's charging from that is a bit slow.
Appreciate 1