View Single Post
      03-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #112
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Thanks for posting this thread; it is very interesting to get some perspective from a Bimmerhead and not a tech junkie. I've driven a 3-series for 30 years, so trying to pry me out of a BMW is rather difficult. BMW has helped quite a bit since I guess it's lost a lot of brain power to Hyundai over the years and replaced them with aged Buick engineers (disregard how Bob Lutz greatly influenced BMW however...). The Cadillac ATS has my vote right now as a 3-series replacement; we'll have to see what the CT5 brings.

On to the Tesla 3. I have a 80-mile one-way commute that goes from Virginia rural to metro-urban of Washington DC. Great roads to famous Route 66 gridlock. I have to say that I may be (maybe) enticed by letting a Tesla 3 assist driving in slow, bumper-to-bumper traffic. That, coupled to what should be less routine maintenance via the electric drivetrain had me considing a Model 3. I need a 175-mile driving range for the winter months. No charging during the day at my office. What I find interesting however, is no EV manufacturer provides any EPA-like data for winter driving. My average speed per fill up is between 45 - 50 MPH depending upon route I choose and traffic levels. And I'll not be a tech nerd that freezes himself to hypermile an EV, since car heaters were invented for a reason soon after lossless cooling systems were introduced by Cadillac.

A coworker acquired a Model 3 AWD, big battery, back in September 2018. He was a wait-lister, and is a Muskite. I've been in his 3 twice; once shotgun and once in the rear seat. The rear set experience was the deciding factor why I've not bought a Model 3 (my E90 is plus 350,000 miles old); the rear seat is horribly uncomfortable after 20 minutes if seat time. I ride a motorcycle for hours at a time, so my ass is highly calibrated for pain and tolerance to it; I wanted to hit the seat eject button after 20 minutes in the Model 3.

I think the Model 3 front end is ugly, and despite what you said, the tablet dash doesn't work for me. I much prefer a tactile interface system when it comes to automobiles; the BMW E30 being the pinnacle of interior ergonomic design IMO. You inadvertently said it best, you NEED Tesla Autopilot to safely navigate the touch screen tablet. My friend demonstrated the Autopilot and I wasn't that impressed. On several inquires since, he's stated that on a highway under construction (repaving) in inclement weather the Autopilot just gives up. This is where a tactile interface with the vehicle controls comes into play; the Tesla tablet is great for ideal driving conditions where the Autopilot can address (hopefully) a driver's inattentiveness to the road and traffic situation, but when the Autopilot is not available, there is a risk. I believe this to be true with iDrive (CUE, et.al) as well, which is why none of my cars have such an interface.

What I else found annoying with the tablet is there is too much information provided, which distracts from paying attention to the task at hand, driving. I found it interesting the Tesla tech separates graphics between trucks, cars, and motorcycles as situational awareness data; but while I found it impressive, I also found it distracting. I still think the human brain and properly learned driving technique to be better technology over Tesla's system. Also, the map in his car was always present. I asked him and he indicated it can't be turned off. For a daily commuter going to and from work, I really don't need a map showing my position on it all the time. And yes, I have a stick-on Garmin GPS I've used on both my cars and motorcycle, which I found neat at first, but they are small screens and are not prevalent as a data interface. In the Tesla, reviewing speed or audio status has the entrancing map in your face; I find it distracting. The Model 3's tablet forces you to pay attention to the interior, stark as it is otherwise, where as a properly designed tactile interior allows a driver to focus on driving, which is most important.

I'm glad you've found the Tesla 3 to your liking and gave the car a chance, and that it meets your needs and expectations. I'm not yet up to letting go of any of my cars for one.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-24-2019 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00