07-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #21
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
After a 1/2 day still walked away feeling like the OG M2 has a slight edge on the track for me out of that particular group - from a purely enjoyment perspective. Just a really fun car to throw around in stock trim. The others obviously aren't too shabby and would out run the M2 on the full track at COTA. For what we got to do though I enjoyed the OG M2 just a hair more than the others - even though I only got a total of 42 seconds of seat time in it. Not much of an autocross guy either.

Keeping my eyes peeled for the new programs they mentioned were coming later this year too. Driving their racing program cars and also a race license school - both at Thermal. Definitely going to be in on the their racing lineup & would have been interested in the license school if it had come along earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
You guys are talking about M5 or M5 Comp?
The 1/2 day had the base M5 - looks like the full day was the comp. I think there was only one full day offered and the rest of us were in the 1/2 day sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
My group, including the instructor all felt the M5 didn't belong on COTA. It's certainly has plenty of get up and go, but once the corners came, it felt large and heavy tackling those. Brakes were disappointing. You could tell if you were following an M5 coming in for a hard stop; rear end got very squirrelly. The instructor actually warned us of this: get the M5 as straight as possible before braking.

This one, from to two years ago, was my favorite:

I agree the base M5 does feel fairly large & heavy at COTA - but I think the lines they were running didn't do it any favors either. I think if we were allowed to run a better line a decent amount of that would have negated. Certainly not going to overcome physics but would have really liked to see what it could do with proper pace & line. I got my hand slapped for not following the instructors line exactly in the M4 - so didn't press my luck in the M5... Would also really like to wring the M5 comp out a bit for a few laps - have a feeling that it would show itself very respectfully out there. If temps stay under control... which I'm not sold on...
^^this. I instructed HPDEs for a bit and you cannot run the same line with every car. I used to run a heavily modded RX-8 back in the day (moderate power, low torque) and would instruct other with similar cars (MX5, Eclipses etc) to carry more momentum through corners, brake later, and roll throttle earlier. very different than folks running mustangs, M5s, and heavier cars