03-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #14
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
At 11mph you can't do that of a big damage that will be 11k +. There is more to your accident story lol.
There actually isn't more to it, and it's been recorded by my dashcam. If you look through my posts you'll see I'm pretty big on transparency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
years (OK, decades) ago, I used to hang out at a body shop that would occasionally see a very desirable car come in from an accident, and upsell the repair estimate purposely to try to get it totaled, so that the mechanics there could buy it from the insurance company and rehab it themselves. They preferred ones that took lots of modest damage in low speed runs, so there were many panels damaged, but frame wasn't tweaked too bad and major mechanicals were intact. If you really think the estimate is too high and would want to keep it, might get a second opinion. And I'd double up on recommends that you try to avoid a conviction, points or not. IF it matters, it will matter a lot (insurance premiums are just the tip of the iceberg).
I'd think that might be the case if the shop wasn't working with me to prevent it from being totaled. My adviser has been extremely good about keeping me in the loop and asking where I don't mind sourcing my own parts to keep the cost down. He asked me flat out if I'd prefer to let it go or keep it, and I told him keep it. Definitely agree on the ticket, I'm going to go for a "PBJ" as zx10guy suggested.