07-31-2015, 06:05 PM   #21
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Nice collectible. It's one of the "cooler" (a little pun intended) moderate price collectibles that one can get.

I really like the Alaska for several reasons, not the least of which are that it looks different without looking strange, it's space capsule sub-dial hands, and that it takes a variety of bands/straps well. The limited production is nice and contributes to making the watch more collectible than other watches, but at 1970, it's not that limited, so it doesn't mean that much to me.

Most importantly in my mind, however, it's a very wearable collectible. The prototype versions are far more collectible, but not at all wearable on a routine basis. As you can see below, it's not at all practical to wear without the thermo-protective case.

Have you worn it with the temperature abating case attached? I haven't worn mind with it on yet, but I did assemble it once just to see what it looked like "all put together. I suppose big watch lovers may think it's "all that." LOL For my part, I'm waiting for the day when I'm home in D.C. during a big snowstorm. When that happens, I'll put it together and head down to Dupont Circle to participate in a snowball battle and test out the whole contraption.

Anyway, super cool watch. Nice to learn someone here buys stuff other than the "usual suspects." Kudos.

All the best.
I actually got this watch because of you hahah. You posted it in a thread like 9 months ago and I just fell in love with it!

I have tried it on with the red casing but I haven't worn it in public with it. I don't really wanna be associated with Ocho Cinco lol
Appreciate 1