View Single Post
      04-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #29
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamy View Post
Good question. There isn’t a short answer, and since driving feel and esthetics are so subjective I’ll give you a brief history on my perspective.

I’ve been a long time BMW owner with recent M car stints in the M2, then M3 Comp (6MT), then X3MC and finally adding a M4CS. I have young kids (2&5) so the move from M2 -> M3 was to get some additional practicality. Then last year I drove the X3MC at Monticello race track during a track day and it was over. As many others that have come from the F80 platform will attest the power delivery and usable/practical nature of the X3M is on another level so I sold the M3 in favor of my X3MC.

I enjoy a few track sessions annually and I’m probably one of the few people at actually has driven a X3MC on a track. This is my downfall, for daily driving and fun spirited drives the SAV is perfect. It is, and feels SOOO MUCH quicker than the F8X. Launch control is comical…the whole family gets a kick out of it every time. I can bomb around in it with car seats, strollers, etc. Very few things on the street are any quicker. BUT…it’s missing what I enjoy most about the M4CS…rawness.

The M4CS will lose in a straight line every single time. From a roll…every single time. My wife and I have tested this extensively and even with the X3MC on all-seasons it’s just not even a competition. Power delivery and AWD just make the X3MC a beast that we all enjoy. But because I track my cars the flaws (it’s an SAV what do you expect) do show when you explore the limits. The CS is just so much more engaging to drive. Downshifts in the DCT are unreal. The stripped out interior is fun and feels special. Turn in is way more predictable and sharp. For me, a little bit of tail out fun is more engaging than super fast in a straight line.

Beyond that the CS really is something special to look at. The hood, fender flairs, carbon lip, and color combine for a really esthetically pleasing car by my tastes. Even with some HRE wheels the X3MC still blends in with the rest of the soccer mom rides in my area. Not as bad as my wife’s XC90, but it’s really a common car compared to the CS. Of course starting up the X3MC in Sport+ quickly reminds people it’s anything but common.

All this said, if I had to pick one car to drive it would be the X3MC by a mile. I’d give up the luxury of having a more engaging track focused car for the practicality of the SAV all day long. I’m grateful for the chance to enjoy both and if the G80 grille nightmare continues to production this combo seems like a winner for the short term.
I agree with you 100%. We have the X3MC and an F80 (2018 M3 Comp). I love going back and forth between the two cars and although they both do so many things very well they’re still so different. As you said if someone was to make me pick just one to have and drive it would be the X3MC all day every day. I would gladly give up on the things the F80 can do that the X3MC cannot do as well. Cheers
AlexFL7842.50