View Single Post
      10-19-2019, 01:05 AM   #11
Burnaby
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 F25 N55

We F25 owners are lucky to be able to do the job from the top with only removal of the fan.
The job takes time when it's your first pump replacement. I almost gave up and wanted to put it back and drive to the shop, but after the job was done the knowledge you get plus the savings in your pocket makes you satisfied.
Several hints:
When the metal brace is removed and transmission cooler unscrewed it needs to be pushed down to be placed aside.
The most important tool is very long flatbed screwdriver. Luckily Germans pointed the screws of the clamps in the perfect positions.
I also used 10mm wrench for the top pump bolt as the my ratchet head is too big for the spot to use the etorx12, even with extension.
2-3 times bleeding procedure was needed with constant top up of premixed OEM coolant. I noticed each cycle took no more than 5 min as opposed to the suggestion to wait for 10min.
And I know many people complain about how unreliable and expensive this pump is and why is not belt driven, but I got the warnings for more than a month. Loud fan, ISTA showing blockage, intermittent operation, but still working. It gave me time to prepare and purchase the parts. We rarely hear for N55 blowing head gasket, which was something normal for M54's when their pump fails on the highway. I had to swap the whole engine back in the days, because of failed water pump.
Appreciate 0