08-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC View Post
Well the engine quit again - this time my wife was driving it to Colville. It quit outside of Moses Lake. I called Seattle BMW and spoke to a service manager who suggested that it may be time to replace the X3 with a new one since it has 122K miles on it. Needless to say it be the i3 may be my last BMW. Car goes to Spokane BMW and I have to deal with getting my wife back home and buying a new car. I really did not expect this from BMW.
Exact same thing happened to me a year ago. It took multiple attempts by dealer to finally figure out the cause of problem. First they replaced battery. Next they replaced LPFP. Next they replaced HPFP. Car kept dying at random times which was dangerous and beyond frustrating.

Turned out solution was to replace fuel pump control unit (EKPS). Once this work was done problem disappeared. No recurrence for over a year.

This issue is very hard to diagnose because it only happens when engine is hot. Dealer had to let car idle for a long while and observed that EKPS was too hot. I’d have dealer check to see if this is the problem for your car. Good luck OP.
Appreciate 0