View Single Post
      09-12-2022, 10:01 AM   #8
MrSeabass
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
Assuming that this is a pic from your X3, the big red square is not an exchanger. Your X3 was equipped with an oil cooler that is air to liquid and it should route to the right side of the vehicle. the OFHG can be the culprit.

I would start with the transmission cooler and see if there is any indication of oil mixed with ATF. If there isn't any coolant, then I would look at the engine circuit and go from there. There are only a few common spots that can cause this. OFHG is one of them and most likely could be it. The other one is the head gasket.

Most likely it is the oil filter housing gasket.
Thanks for the tips; already ordered OFHG kit and will be removing it entirely today. If it's the head gasket, well... guess I'm gonna make a few calls around town I'm still 99% sure it's not the head gasket as it had no telltale signs (no steam excaping, pulsing/surging, literally no signs of the engine operating erratically).

Also started pulling some plumbing out since it needs to be flushed out anyway, there's so much oil in the coolant lines
Appreciate 0