View Single Post
      09-11-2022, 06:46 PM   #2
MrSeabass
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Back home and took the basics out of the engine bay. I have no idea what failed yet

First look shows there's a lot of oil that overflowed the coolant cap and ran down the sides. Very little coolant loss AFAIK. No ruptued hoses anywhere or anything looking physicaly broken. Haven;t lifted the car and taken the undertray out yet as it's late and right noe I just don;t have the patience or emotional stability to lift a car and get under it right now. General observations:
  • I do not see any fluid on either side where the cylinder head meets the block.
  • I do not see any fluids at all on the passerger side, not even loking down onto the undertray. All oil (and coolant loss) happened on the driver's side.
  • I see no fluids from under or around the intake manifold.
  • The oil filter housing gasket was replaces roughly 50K miles ago. The area around the housing is bone dry, there is no evidence of oil leaking out at all, past or present, from the seal housing.
  • There is oil/coolant soaking the coolant reservior outsode and everything within 5 inces of it basically. I I don;t know if coolant came out just the cap at the top (hard to believe but...) or the connections on the side/under it, but it looks like any loss came from there. I have not gone under the car yet so there could be a second source of the leak, but it seems unlikely.
  • Looking in the valve cover after removing the oil filling cap: still looks wet/dark with oil, a faint froth around the cap seal only.
  • Car seemingly entered low power mode when the 'low/no oil pressure' warning came on (or I just lifted off the gas in reaction). Drove to the closest gas station which was1-1.5 miles from the warning, engine did not react in any way that seemed troublesome.
  • It definitely lost a good amount of oil, going by the spray under the car and the puddle it left behind.
  • Have not pulled any codes yet to see what else could have failed, but I can say the car was not overheating at any point.

Right now it just looks like something internal/not able to be seen failed, forcing oil into the coolant lines and out the coolant tank/connections. Lemme know what you think before I start calling around or taking more off the car.

Appreciate 0