View Single Post
      11-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #22
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendoo View Post
Not only were they on the recommended list, they were #1 in the category.

That was based on estimated reliability data based on other BMW models.

Sadly, the actual reliability numbers were well below that as we have discussed.

As a result, the X3 has dropped from #1 to #5.

I was on the cusp of buy-in an X3 last Summer, but first the CA I was working with left for another opportunity, I got busy with iife, and then ran into the DAP+ unavailability and then the model year changeover. In that time many members began reporting more and more issues... so I'm rethinking things.

There is more to a car purchase than reliability, and I still may buy an X3, but not without a lot of thought.
A very thoughtful response.

You might be surprised to hear that even with my issues, I'd buy the car again (another famous CR question).

My reasons include the way both cars drive (the 30i is a sweetheart, perfect as my wife's daily driver; the M40i is a beast), both have truly lovely interiors, I like the way they look (both are 300 and we never get tired of the joke, "Let's take the white one"), the tech is fantastic and, now that I've coded ASS to remember the last setting in Comfort, there's nothing like them in traffic jams. Not to mention that the older 30i still has 3.5 years of warranty left. With possible BMW "goodwill repairs", I think I can get five years of reliable, safe, enjoyable transportation out of the pair of them. Plus, at five years, I'll bet they'll be worth 45-50% of MSRP in the used market.

In short, as you point out, reliability is a statistical measure. It's a way of knowing your odds, not your destiny.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50