pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
If the broken spring clearly had a crack that had gotten rusty over time, it would explain the result. Given that I'd thoroughly inspect the other side. If it looks 100% then probably good to go. If it looks iffy / has some hairlines of rust in it, get it done at the same time.

It sounds like a potential manufacturing issue given that they all seem to break the last little bit and not change the ride height. It doesn't seem like a random thing to have the results so consistently similar. Like a coating didn't get put on correctly, or got cut into at a later manufacturing step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Due to this, my money is on a mfg issue. Not properly baked? Out of control process? Who know for sure?
If you notice, they typically break at the bottom where all the road crud & salt collects, stays moist and corrodes. I assume the powder coat gets a hairline crack, then salt get in and then starts corroding the spring. That's why I do a good power washing with the undercarriage wand to remove crud from these type of collection areas. Perhaps a plastic sleeve shrunk onto the bottom few coils would prevent the issue. I use "QMAXX Salt Aerosol Spray" on areas of concern to reduce corrosion from winter salt. I've even used "Fluid film" though it's more messy.
Appreciate 0