View Single Post
      08-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

X3M M Town Test Drive

I did the brief M Town test drive today. (For perspective, I had been considering the MB GLC63, Jaguar F-Pace SVR, and the Stelvio QF, then decided to wait for the X3M/X4M release. I recently settled on the Jag and placed an order. I had booked the M Town test drive months ago, and kept the appointment since no one needs to twist my arm to drive a new M car.)

Appearance -- There are plenty of videos and photos available now, so each of you can make your own decision. Seeing it in person, the comments that the exterior design does not distinguish it greatly from the non-M X3 are fair. In comparison, there is more visible difference between the M3 and M4 compared to their non-M versions.

Interior -- The seats are beautiful and comfortable. It was easy to find a comfortable driving position. The steering column adjustment, although manual, also contributes to this. The dash display is very attractive, much more so than the trapezoidal/hexagonal nonsense in the X5/X7. The infotainment display is vivid, clear and easily manipulated through iDrive. I would prefer the screen to be integrated into the dash, but the whole package is modern, functional and attractive. The rear seats are somewhat spartan but the seat back recline function is welcome.

HUD -- Attractive and informative display but virtually useless if wearing polarized sunglasses. This deficit is fairly universal with HUDs. I did not even realize there was an HUD in the car until half way through the drive.

Engine -- Not much happens below 3,000 rpm. After that, the boost kicks in and the car rockets forward. Whether you want to call it turbo lag or lack of displacement or cylinders, the result is a highly non-linear power delivery. To me this is a significant detriment compared to its V8 rivals. Overall, the car is undeniably fast, but I wonder what the acceleration numbers would be without launch control.

Sound -- If you like an aggressive exhaust sound, I expect you will be disappointed. In the cabin, even with the driver's window down, after a half-hearted growl on start-up, there is not much else. Under hard acceleration, there is a decent but unremarkable 6 cylinder sound, and I expect anyone who wants a distinctive exhaust note will be quickly investigating aftermarket options. Both the GLC63 and the Jag SVR are way ahead in the sound department. (For perspective, I had a Supersprint Race exhaust on my e60 M5 and it was the most enjoyable mod I bought. It produced a deep, throaty sound throughout the rev range without the raspiness and excessive volume of other options such as the Eisenmann.)

Ride -- I was particularly interested in the every day ride quality given the multiple reports that it is overly harsh. This test did not lend itself to a firm conclusion because the only streets available were very smooth. I did turn off onto a couple side streets with less ideal pavement. I kept the suspension in Comfort. Here, the ride was definitely firm, but not jarring. would want to test it on bumpier asphalt before deciding whether the ride is sufficiently compliant for daily use.

Handling -- There was no opportunity to evaluate it, but I have no doubt that this is a real strength.

So, in sum, an impressive machine in many respects with a few notable flaws. Does it stir your soul enough to buy it? It did not stir mine, but everyone has different preferences and priorities, so make your own decisions. I expect anyone who decides after analysis that this car is for him or her will enjoy it.
Appreciate 3