08-09-2023, 11:48 AM   #56
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobeagle View Post
Thanks! Hope the bimmercode team gets things sorted out soon. I wonder if the more advanced coding community (esys) already has it working.
This will be interesting to see how it pans out. From a software point of view if they've left the placeholder for the adjustment intact but removed the code that actually reads that adjustment (the simplest solution IMO) someone would actually have to patch the base code of whichever device hosts that program. That implies pulling the code, reverse engineering it, recompiling it, then re-flashing it onto the appropriate module. Not trivial.

An alternative method would be to just patch that one area of code if the programming tools allow that. The trick with that would be if the amount of code to patch reading the adjustment is "bigger" than the logic that ignores the adjustment. Then you have to insert logic to jump around the code, etc.

A third trick might be that they've left a hidden enable bit in there somewhere that needs to be recoded.

Depending upon how deep the update code checks for the condition of the code on the module I could see this deep-sixing an OTA update, and then explaining to the dealership what happened.

I wish I knew more about the internals of their software. but this should be interesting.
Appreciate 1
Rottweiler4028.50