Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

New Owner of 2020 G01 X3 Xdrive30e PHEV in USA - impressions, review, pics

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
2020 BMW G01 X3 Xdrive30e PHEV

Gents,

I’m new to the X3 world but have been skulking around other BMW forums for help and to contribute to the knowledge pool for my past BMWs:

2003 E46 M3
2004 E46 330i ZHP
2008 E70 X5 3.0si
2011 F10 535i
2012 E70 X5M
2017 F30 330e
2018 F48 X1

I recently traded in my wife’s X1 to get myself a new 2019 Ford F150 Raptor and she said we had to sell my X5M so I sold that and have been waiting for the new X3 Xdrive30e vehicles to come in. Despite COVID-19 fears, we went in to pick up the wife’s new ride yesterday.

I’m gonna ramble for a bit so if you don’t care then skip the next couple paragraphs.

I was able to attend a launch party for the G01 in Honolulu back in the day to check them out and have been impressed with the vehicle ever since. I figured when I got the chance I would get the IX3 EV for my wife. I was quickly turned off when I heard the IX3 was going to be rear wheel drive only, and now it won’t be coming to the US anyway. We had to end the wife’s 330e lease since I was leaving the country for a bit and then immediately had to buy the X1 because my X5M broke down. I hated the X1 and now that I’m back in the states we decided to look at getting an EV or Plug in Hybrid. Surprisingly, the options are still thin for a good PHEV. Almost all of your standard Asian PHEVs are only sold in 7 states so those were out. The only real options left were BMW and Audi. We decided on the X3 PHEV because the stated range online was 33mi. After picking up the vehicle my wife said that the car told her the range was much shorter. She was able to drive 20 miles at 75mph on I5 before the battery died. I was grumpy and immediately checked the window sticker to find that the EPA range is 17miles electric only. WTH! I know the EPA is very stringent with verifying claimed ranges but didn’t expect the range to be so different from the European stated range. The X3 30e range isn’t on the EPA website or BMWusa.com. So the only current number is on the window sticker.

Since we kind of did our trade-ins and sales quickly we hadn’t expected to need a new vehicle so soon and decided to go with a dealer preordered X3 PHEV instead of ordering one ourselves. BMW Seattle was getting several in so we picked the one we wanted and made the lease deal a couple weeks before it arrived. Here are the specs, impressions, and some pics:

SPECIFICATIONS:

-Alpine White
-Black Vernasca Leather with Blue Contrast Stitching
-Sensa Tec Dashboard
-Aluminum Rhombicle Trim
-M Sport Package
-Dynamic Damper control
-Harmon Kardon Surround Sound System
-Ambient Lighting
-Premium Package
-Heated Steering Wheel
-Comfort Access
-Panoramic Roof
-Lumbar Support
-Heads up Display
-Front and Rear Heated Seats
-Driving Assistant Package
-Active Blind Spot Detection
-Lane Departure Warning

Additionally, the Xdrive 30e PHEV comes with ID7 and Digital Dash standard. Four things I wish we could have is the Dynamic Handling package which comes with M brakes, the Parking Assistant Plus, the Driving assistant Plus, and Acoustic Glass…it would be a lot more expensive of course. I actually used to think the lane keep assist and distance keeping cruise control was a gimmick, but I love it on my Raptor. The rest is just nice to haves. I hate how below the 5 series sedan and SUVs you’re paying so much in options.

IMPRESSIONS:

It is a BMW. So, it’s great! I’ve driven the 330i Active hybrid and obviously the 330e and now this X3 30e is a continuing evolution of the hybrid drivetrains. They have come a long way from the abrupt engine start and rough kick of acceleration. I could barely hear or feel the gas engine switch on and there was a smooth transition from remaining electric power to the gasoline power. I’m eager to find out the real world range of these vehicles in EV mode during city driving. Something that is interesting, if you haven’t owned a PHEV, is that the Gas Tank is sealed to prevent the gas from going bad from infrequent usage. You have to press a special button to unseal the gas tank before filling.

My gripes include the complicated ID7 and digital dash, which I’m sure I’ll figure out eventually, and the reduction of storage space in the trunk. The batteries add a massive lip to the trunk and an additional hump on the passenger side. This means that the cargo mat will not fit. I also learned that it can cause other problems when, after getting groceries, we opened the hatch and a gallon of milk fell out and smashed open in our garage. In the F30 330e there was a different boot also and BMW never made a different cargo mat to fit. Hopefully they make one for the X3 30e.

I’m obviously annoyed by the short range, but hoping it is enough to support my wife going to and from work, including lunch break, without using gas. I plugged the included 110 charger in last night and it took 10hours to charge to 100%. I’ll be installing a 14-30 NEMA plug and buying a level 2 charger ASAP.

PICTURES:

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs

Last edited by jandref321; 03-30-2020 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Add Photos
Appreciate 7
chicagofan0019138.50
NordicX3120.00
Jason40797.00
///M TOWN16303.00
GOLFFRR10809.50