View Single Post
      08-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
ja4an
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Agreed to the Firestone being a good tire for the money (I have them on my 135i), also to the general lack of reason to go to a 50% profile over 45 (is there a huge price drop or something?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
First off, I'm happy you've decided to get rid of the run flats. It will be a completely different vehicle after you do that. Ride smoother, better acceleration, shorter stopping distance, and better fuel mileage. That's a rare and expensive tire size though, and yes it will throw the speedometer off (it's -3mph from the factory so it might actually read correctly haha).

Why would you want a larger sidewall? It would make the car handle worse. Trying to get the car to have a smoother ride? Getting rid of the run flats fixes that, no need for a larger sidewall. If you drive A LOT of miles AND in mild snow during the winter the go-to tire is the General AS-05. If you live in a part of the world like I do, Florida, and zero snow ever, don't care if your tires are bald in 25k miles cause $600 for a new set is pocket lint and want maximum dry and wet traction with outstanding cornering making the X3 feel like a proper BMW? The Firestone Indy 500 is the best tire you can put on an X3. Both in 245/45-19 size.

Oh, and being a 2011 35i? Get ready to fork out $1600 to replace the water pump any day now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Agreed to the Firestone being a good tire for the money (I have them on my 135i), also to the general lack of reason to go to a 50% profile over 45 (is there a huge price drop or something?).
Thanks for the responses! I was looking at the Continental DWS 06 and with the 50% ratio because it's mainly for the wifey and kid. Family hauler

When does the water pump normally go out?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0