View Single Post
      05-27-2022, 02:11 PM   #14
lagunablue1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsalepro View Post
so after speaking with my Parts Pro here this is what I can tell you: Your part #'s are correct (yes I know you know that already) and not offered in N.America. He told me one of the functions of the module is to keep the vehicle level at all times when towing whether you're alone or with three passengers and the back loaded with stuff. And as you agreed it is sitting down in the rear a bit with no people on board.

Next is you had your X3M coding done by codemybimmer. I work at the second largest BMW in the country and BMW Warranty has been cracking down on cars having that type of coding being done, cars that have been tuned and even lowered. You bring you car in for service and warranty work will not be done; you're out of warranty and BMW for you stands for "bring my wallet."

As far as "hands on experience" I've changed motors on cars and changed the ring and pinion in the differential being very careful to set the lash. (any idea what that is son?)

so next time you bring it in for service let me know how that works out for ya.
Hate to break it to you but you and your parts "pro" are incorrect. The trailer module is not intended to keep the vehicle level - the X3M has a traditional coil spring/damper suspension and not a rear air suspension like the X5 / X5M, so there is no adjustment of the suspension height that the trailer module could do. Instead, the module lets the rest of the car know when a trailer is attached so the rear PDC sensors and blindspot systems are deactivated, and helps to control the trailer swaying.

Any time any modification is done to a vehicle under warranty there is always a "chance" of warranty nullification. I have never heard of anyone getting denied warranty due to coding alone, unless it was proven the coding specifically caused a component to fail (on this platform or any other). I have had my X3M in for service at the dealer post-coding and have never had any issues. Engine tuning is a completely different ballgame - though it seems like you were the one that was interested in a RaceChip or JB4? https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1842333

Lastly, I have swapped plenty of motors, transmissions, and rear ends in my life, and torn a few motors down to the block to rebuild. I have used feeler gauges to set valve lash and differential backlash. I can assure you I have more hands-on mechanical experience than you do.

You seem obsessed with a little bit of suspension sag in the rear, which is fairly normal for towing on any vehicle that has traditional coil suspension. Here is an X3 (20d) equipped with the factory tow hitch towing a trailer within it's weight limit. Does it look level to you?

Source: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1660985

I'm not sure why you feel the urge to continue to try to prove to me that the X3M cannot tow. I wrote this thread in an attempt to educate other forum members who are contemplating towing with their X3M (or are considering purchasing an X3M and are curious if it can tow). Every argument you have made to try to prove me wrong has been heresay - your manager's experience with their X5 or something your parts guy told you about a trailer control module. If you don't want to tow with your X3M - don't, I'm not forcing you to.
Appreciate 14