Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Great news that there will be a no moon roof option.

1 weight reduction

2 many people never use a moonroof - AC for hot days and on nice days windows down is better without sunroof because hot sun on ur face is for the pool or beach

3 savings = $1200 cheaper

4 long term moonroof is liability to break, leak or rust

5 Win/Win - Moonroof available for those who use it, like it

that's a ridiculous list.

I have owned the following cars and never had a moonroof leak

1993 Honda Accord EX - sold in 2012 with 225,000 miles.
1991 BMW M3 pujrchased 1993 - sold in 2006 with 147K
2005 Subaru Legacy - purchased new - sold in 2012 with 89,000 miles
2013 X1 M sport- purchased 2015 currently 70K miles

That's approximately 40 years of age on sunroof vehicles. I haven't spent a dollar on any of them with regards to roof related issues. I had ONE issue in all those years on my E30 M3... the cables got off track. I actually took it to be diagnosed.. it was going to be 1K to fix.. I declined. A few months later I tried it again and it fixed itself.. and I never had an issue again.

regarding your list.

1- no argument here
2- personal choice
3- no argument there - see #2 and decide if one will use it.
4- your absolute weakest argument of the list
5- makes sense.

you could have simply stated " Great news that there will be a no moon roof option. " and left the list out.

My X1 is outside my office RIGHT NOW with sunroof tilted up to keep cooler while sitting in the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
If you don't want it that's fine - I use mine all the time, to each their own. But plenty of people are on the "lightweight bro" diet.
+1
Not a moon-roof fan so I typed a long book.

My friends think I'm a retard not to want them on my cars so get in line.

Agree with you that rust and leaks are very rare these days on newer cars. However note that you live in Dallas with mild weather and less dirty tall trees. You probably garage ur car. If you lived in New York, Boston or others areas where weather and tree debris assault your car roof daily it could/ might rust and leak over time or your headliner could sag. Not an issue if you trade in for new every few years but for a long term keeper it's a liability.

My 2001 4Runner - slicktop - still own it, clean solid steel roof and original headliner.

My 2004 4Runner - sunroof - barely used it. It jammed once when only 3 years old - had to have dealer unjam, align and grease the tracks. Sold that car, should have kept it even with the sunroof because V8

Not to throw gas on the fire but a few more minor (I said minor) considerations for those maybe undecided as to which to choose:

6 - IMO the full steel roof looks cleaner all one color with no big black glass rectangle

7 - if u decide to track your SUV the slicktop has more headroom for your helmet - we can all hear it already - well you know the x3M is faster than the F80M around the green hell.....

8 - should the x3M SUV become a "hit" and be very desirable and sought after on the aftermarket 15 to 20 years from now, hey u never know, then no moon roof X3Ms will be more rare and worth more money just as with E46M slicktops and E90M slicktops.

Another 15 minutes of my life wasted and claimed by Bimmerpost
Appreciate 1