View Single Post
      06-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #16
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Did the trunk, finally. I went a little further and took out all the panels from the tailgate. Started at the top of the window, then the sides of the window, and finally the bottom big one. All use the same push-in connectors as the pieces from the middle of the car. I put on some leather gloves and went around very slowly lifting and prying as close to the connectors as I could. The only tricky piece is the wiring to connect to the buttons that close the tailgate. Have a small flat bladed screwdriver handy, there's a small space that you can put it into and rotate to push the connector out.

I did put some sound deadener on the panels, including the pieces over the tail lights that pop out. In my opinion though, while that might have been important, I think there were a few additional or bigger areas of concern:

* The top most piece above the window is very light and buzzy. I added some deadener to it but also put some foam on it, very soft stuff from Home Depot for windows. Soft is the key, the heavy stuff even if thin won't flex enough and might make the panel tough to put back in or make it want to pop back out. This helped keep it from vibrating against things to begin with.

* The side pieces, at their tops, have holes where the connectors for the top panel go through. I put a little foam around those holes as well. This should help keep some gentle force on them, also to help keep them continually pressed against the window and less likely to vibrate against it.

* The large bottom panel didn't need much overall but the key area for it was the top of it (where it touches the bottom of the window). I concentrated the sound deadener here and added some foam as well. This is the area of the panel that, for me, really vibrated a lot.

I would suggest that you tap your panels with your fingers all over the place and figure out where they are noisy and hit other objects (i.e. the back window). Then when you take a panel off, have a good look and make a plan of attack for helping space those two things apart.
Nice!

Anyway way you can post pictures of the pieces you are talking about or maybe circle them on a random photo from google?

Also, what soft material from Home Depot did you use? I was thinking if stuffing some soft type material between the B-pillar and plastic trim.

Thanks
Appreciate 0