View Single Post
      06-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Did the portion between the front & rear doors today. Have not done the trunk area yet nor have I driven it yet. But I thought I'd share some notes on the panels.

* The upper panel between the doors: Remove it by popping out from the bottom. Get your fingers between the upper and lower pieces and pull towards the inside of the car, away from the sheet metal. Once the bottom of that panel pulls out, just pull the whole thing downwards. The belt will be running through it but if you sit in the back seat you can apply the material to it.

* The lower panel is much the same but in reverse. It comes out second. You can see down inside and see the same connectors. Just get your hands down in there and make a fist and rotate and it'll come. I got it pulled most of the way into the car and did what I wanted (about 75-80% of it), I didn't go the last step and completely remove it.

* Moving the front seats all the way forward will help.

* Put things together slowly and in the reverse order. Make sure the plastic guys line up with their holes. Pull the gasket material out and around the panels before final pounding them into place. If things are lined up and the gasket's not in the way, give them a good hit with your fist over top of each of those connectors. Be sure of the above though, or you'll start breaking things.

* Be careful w/ the gasket when you get it back over the panels, if you run your fingers around there too quickly you could get cut on the panel itself.

* Smash that dynamat (or competitor) down, within reason of course. I used a roller, a trim panel remover tool (stiff and rounded), and my hands WITH tight fitting leather mechanic gloves on. If it's not stuck it won't do the job.

Hope to get to the rear soon, tapping those panels lightly tells you very quickly how loud they could vibrate in the right conditions.
Appreciate 0