View Single Post
      04-21-2018, 04:45 AM   #8
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

I drove an xDrive30d LCI to see what the road noise and performance was like. I was impressed by how quiet the car was, but I bought a used pre-LCI xDrive30d.

I couldn't believe how much noisier the 2013 F25 is compared to the LCI. So I used the tips in this thread.

I applied Dynamat over the tail lights and on the inside trim used to access the tail lights. There was no insulation whatsoever (compared to Ninoo whose LCI has skimpy insulation).

I also removed the C-pillar trim and applied dynamat to some holes. This is easy to remove. Open the hatch on the side of the boot area and undo the screw. Pull off the trim & you're done.

It was like night & day! This made a huge difference. No need for a sound meter as there is a clear improvement.

I took a slightly different approach with the B- pillar and put Dynamat only over the holes - including the gaping one at the bottom where the belt mechanism comes out. I didn't want to put too much added weight in the car. I also put some foam in there.... marginal result.

I will try applying Dynamat another time to the entire B pillar trim to see what happens, but I'm very happy with the result so far.
Appreciate 1