Thread: 5 Years In
View Single Post
      01-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

Angry

I had the moon roof (panoramic) creak/rattle repaired under warranty a couple of week ago. The dealer used felt tape. I'm really disgusted with the poor build quality of these vehicles. There, I've said it. Here is why, in addition to the moon roof creak/rattle:
  • glove box cover peeling, well documented problem I had to resolve with clamps and gorilla glue, major pain in the ass
  • hatchback door close/lack button housing (the one on the door not under the dash) was loose-I had to gorilla glue it so it wouldn't get worse and eventually stop working

It would relatively minor stuff for a vehicle nearing 4 years in age with 31,000 miles - - if it were a vehicle of average cost. Of course we all know these are not vehicles of average cost, not even within their class (MB GLK, Audi Q5/7, Acura etc.). They are top dollar cars but the build quality in my experience at least does not live up to at least some of the competition. I am a long time Mercedes guy and I had fewer build issues with my 1989 300CE that I had until just a few months ago! I'm just disgusted, somewhere between very disappointed and furious. To end on a positive note, it is more fun to drive than similar SUVs I've owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce24 View Post
I'm @54K miles and bit less than 6 years in on my 2013 x3 2.8i. I also had the moon roof rattle/creak, which I fixed with a bit of tape. Other issue were the Turbo Oil Lines and Thermostat, both replaced under warranty neither issue left the car unusable.

Only nagging issue I have with the car is the infotainment units; it restarts every once in awhile. Has happened maybe 6 times over the last couple of years. Not a big enough issue for me to even have remembered to asked to have it looked at the last time I had the car in for service.
Appreciate 0