View Single Post
      03-05-2024, 10:36 PM   #1
jmons
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Clicking noise while accessory is on but engine off. Engine won't start

Hi all, first post here as I am completely lost after searching high and low. I have a 2012 X3 35i with around 100k miles on it. I was driving home the other day when I randomly got the drivetrain malfunction message on the screen. I didn't think much of it so I parked the car at home and left it overnight. The next morning it wouldn't start - it turns over and then just cranks repeatedly but can't start.

I scanned for codes and got several reporting issues with the supply terminal 15N_2 voltage, intake AND exhaust camshaft sensor error, VANOS solenoid valve error, MAF sensor error...

I checked the battery, it's good. Power distribution module is good. Fuses are all good. The one thing that is unusual is when I start the car in accessory mode, I hear this unusual clicking noise from the engine bay like something is struggling to engage but can't. Perhaps this is related, but I am not sure. Here is a link to a clip showing the noise location. There is an initial click, and then at the 23 second mark there is a series of clicks that sounds like it is struggling with something. This is all happening on its own, after I press the start button to turn on the accessory. https://vimeo.com/919887187?share=copy

Any ideas or has anyone dealt with something similar?

Last edited by jmons; 03-05-2024 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: title
Appreciate 0