Thread: 5 Years In
View Single Post
      12-15-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

We're over 6 years in now, 120,000 km (~72,000 miles) and apart from two flushes of the transfer case and a loose ratting bolt, the car has been trouble free. In 40 years of car ownership this F25 X3 has arguably been the best car we've ever owned in terms of reliability and build quality. Apart from that loose boult (fixed up at very first service), the car remains rattle free.

Besides being our first BMW, it was also our first SUV after a lifetime of wagons and hatches. As good as the experience has been, we came to the decision a year or so ago to go back to wagons. The X3 is currently relegated to second car status with a Volvo V60CC we bought early this year doing the heavy lifting (and doing it well). Later in 2018 we plan to replace the X3 with a G31 5 Series wagon - to a large extent driven by our positive ownership experience with the our first BMW (and yes I appreciate the US market doesn't currently have the G31 5 Series wagon).

Tony

Edit : I do apologise - the other item that perhaps should be added to the list was that the battery was replaced last month. This was the original battery and a life of over 6 years I considered to be fairly good.

Last edited by brissim; 12-15-2017 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: additional thought
Appreciate 1