03-17-2022, 10:10 AM   #1
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Fuel system issues on tuned 2020 X3M

So I've posted here previously about some ongoing issues I've had with my X3M and looking for some additional input. Quick background:
Last year after break-in service I started tuning work with MG Flasher flash platform and a custom E50 tune from Wedge (I've worked with Steven for several years on other BMWs). A few months later started having some HPFP error codes at idle. Fast forward through months of troubleshooting. I replaced both HPFPs which resolved the idle fuel pressure codes. However, I was having some long crank starts when the car was warm (not hot, not cold - only warm). After further troubleshooting we determined that injector 4 had a tiny leak which was losing pressure and causing the long crank starts. Replaced and resolved.

However -
I am still finding that even at the moderate boost levels we're running, I'm having fuel rail drops during logs and when doing a hard kick-down acceleration during street driving, I get stutter/misfires, sometimes bad enough to throw a drivetrain error, misfire codes, charging pressure shutoff, etc.

I'm trying to determine whether the fueling system isn't as capable as you'd expect for having twin TU pumps and just isn't able to provide enough fuel or whether there is yet another component issue, perhaps upstream at the lpfp or something like that. The issue seems worse when it's cold out. At 50° F I wasn't able to recreate the stutter/misfire issue.

I haven't dyno'd but expect that I'm in the low to mid 600's at the wheels. Best Dragy times are 3 second 0-60 and 10.93 1/4... So nowhere near what some of the really fast guys are running.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues when running an ethanol blend? I did see one YouTuber mention something similar but other than that, haven't heard of other issues like this. I need to decide whether to:
-Search harder for other fueling components that aren't operating correctly
-Add more fueling through a PI kit
-Sell it

Last edited by Supr3me; 03-17-2022 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0