View Single Post
      03-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

2011 X3 90k maintenance

Since I finally logged into my bimmerpost account due to my bumper scratches. I figured I'd share some maintenance for, what I consider, a higher mileage F25 N52t. The car is a 2 owner, including me, that I purchased at 88,000 miles.

At 90k I had the following done:
-Front/Rear Differential Fluids ($125 each at Indy)
-Transfer Case Fluid ($160 at Indy)
-Flushed coolant ($141 at Dealer)
-Driver's tie rod + alignment ($500 at Indy)
-New non-RFT Pirelli winter tires ($400 on Tirerack )
-Gloss black kidney grills ($90 ebay since ECS didn't have them -pictured)

Previously, the coolant had been changed once at ~50,000. Spark plugs at 48k.

Items that will need to be addressed:
-Brake fluid
-Spark plugs
-Small oil pan leak (this can be ignored as it's minor but will be monitored)

I found the car to handle/steer more true with the alignment. I don't believe the tie rod needed to be replace though my reputable shop said there was play. Even then, I have the dreaded clunk from the driver's side. Since there is no solution to it, I don't plan on address it unless BMW does something. Unlike some people, I feel no difference with all the fluids changed. I passed on the auto trans fluid since I don't even want to touch the 8spd ZF.

As far as the engine goes, the car pulls strong. I would say at start-up the RPMs will move to 1500 for 2 seconds then drop to 600 where it idles rather smoothly but not perfectly. Sometimes, the start and idle a rough though RPMs are consistent. My other cars include N54 335 and M54 ZHP. The N54 idle is about the same as this N52t so perhaps spark plugs and fuel system treatment will improve it.

I'll update this thread with more maintenance and how the car reacts/I perceive it.

Last edited by malicem3; 03-24-2016 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0