07-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #127
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I've had a bunch of different cars and they were not always the "latest and greatest," it's just because I wanted change it up and I can afford it. I've had the following "fun" cars since I turned 16 (37 now), in chronological order but doesn't include other cars/trucks:

'88 300ZX
'88 325is (later S52 swapped, Wilwoods, etc)
'91 318is
'91 325ic (paid $500, broke a rocker arm right after buying it, so I sold the 17" BBS RS I bought for it, traded it for a motor that I turned around and sold for $4000)
'10 MazdaSpeed 3 (purchased new)
'90 Miata (this was my HPDE car for a few years, XIDAs, Wilwoods, RComps, etc)
'13 Mustang GT Track Pack (purchased new, now they call it the performance pack)
'06 Miata
'15 BRZ (purchased new)
'13 135i (which bone-stock at 33.9k miles started making rod knock noises, so it got traded 3 weeks ago for a)
'18 Mazda 3 (used)

I really like the 135i, but being that it was my only car and I don't have all my tools anymore, trying to buy a used engine and swap it in, in my garage wasn't going to make sense. Neither did paying my mechanic $6-7k to put in a USED engine. So it's gone.

At this point, I'm just going to drive the Mazda 3 for a while and see what happens after a year of the Zupra being out, the new 'Vette (may buy C7 or C6 if the values tank hard enough), there is supposed to be a new STi coming out next, as well as a new BRZ the next year or two, there is the new Miata with the stronger engine and some interesting tuning packages to add to them.

There are a lot of cool options, both new and used. So I guess because I've had many cars, built swap cars, built track cars, and like to own different interesting and/or fun cars, I'm not a "real enthusiast."

Great use of the "Not a True Scotsman" logically fallacy.

Oh this also ignores I used to track my R6 right out of college.
There is a difference in motive. I'm talking about the shallow pursuit of the "latest and greatest". The people who are scared of committing to owning a car past its warranty. The ones who place orders without driving because the reviews are good. The ones who trade in a car they love just because a new one came out with a facelift.