01-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW View Post
I spent a little more time looking at the Mido watches. I'm still not a fan but they aren't as bad as I originally thought. I think whats throwing me off on them is the multiple chronograph buttons on each side and the left subdial. The left subdial doesn't seem to match the rest of the watch. The watch is very sporty overall while the left subdial seems very classic, almost Movado like. And chronograph buttons on both sides is too much for my taste.

Overall Graham watches aren't really my style either. I prefer a less busy watch face with chronograph buttons that aren't as "in your face". Although the Grahams Silverstone Time Zone Automatic is pretty nice looking.
You wouldn't be the first person to jump to a conclusion about a watch or watch company. You won't be the last either. Probably the most common misconceptions I encounter are folks thinking (1) Audemars Piguet make only Royal Oaks and Royal Oak Offshores and (2) that Rolex only make Oyster models. Why folks think that, I cannot say for sure. I presume they just never bothered to check out the makers' websites and find out whether what they perceive to be so is so.

Kudos to you for taking the time to look at a maker's full range of offerings before passing judgment. Many folks miss out on some really fine watches throughout the spectrum of what's available in the marketplace.

I happen to think a Mido is just fine. What is there to think about them? They are well made; they have solid, reliable and easily maintained movements inside. One likes the look of any given model or one doesn't, and if one likes the looks of one of them, there's not much to think about, and there's not much reason not to buy it. If one is looking for something horologically special or important, one should look elsewhere. That's about it, but that's not especially different from most of what Tag and Breitling offer, or what 90% of the rest of the watch industry offers.

Personally, every time I want to buy a watch, I'm not necessarily needing to buy a "meaningful" one. I suspect most folks when they are in the market for a new watch don't especially require "significance" either. If watch collecting isn't a hobby or professional interest of theirs, why would they? Even a lot of folk who do buy "significant" watches really just want something they expect will be relatively uncommon, nice and luxurious. Something that makes them feel good for having/wearing it.

All the best, and again, kudos. I mean that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0