Thread: X3 Brakes
View Single Post
      03-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #24
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I've had a 2013 X3 3.5 for a couple months now and think the car is great.

My only concern and the reason I came upon this thread are the brakes. As others have mentioned, the pedal travel is a lot more progressive (meaning you have to push deeper) and there is less initial bite as compared to previous BMW's.

I've had a 2006 X3, 2008 335i, 2010 X6, and currently a 2011 M3, and I can definitely say that the pedal feels a lot "spongier" than those cars. This is the first BMW I've ever driven where I instantly noticed that the brakes were different. This is not to say they are bad, but they don't have the same feel as the previous cars and I've noticed I had to adjust due to the pedal travel.

I'm going to present my concerns at the dealer next time but from reading this thread, it sounds that it's just a driver adjustment. Also as others mentioned, the actual braking distance depends primarily on the tires. Since most X3's come with all season M+S tires, it makes sense the braking distance is higher. Car and Driver recently had a comparison between the Evoque, the Q5 and the X3, and they mentioned the X3 had the worst braking distance of the bunch primarily due to its tires.
Appreciate 1
ZooMMM14.00