12-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
You just ruined it for me with your three bullet point statements as I was going to ditch my f80 for more space. Exhaust is pretty crappy in f80 so this is worse? Turbo lag acceleration and not as fast quick Dct shifts. Sigh .

Now I need to look at glc 63 and Stelvio quad ( have a totally trouble free 2019 ti sport today for my kids and it's fun to drive—test drove quad a while back and it was a beast.
F80 M3 is probably the worst sounding M car I've owned the S58 sounds much better in the cabin (better fake noise? Who knows) but I wouldn't worry about the sound the engine makes compared the S55. I have found myself accelerating for no reason just to hear the engine, I never did that in the F80.

As for lag, the engine comes on max boost at around 2.5k and it doesn't stop from there so you have no lag in response on and off the throttle within that zone, what you do have is a gearbox that in auto likes to get into a high gear pretty quickly. So you will whilst pootling around town or cruising be below 2k rpm so the gearbox has to drop a gear or two but it's very quick to do this, clearly if you're in manual mode you'll be in the right gear for what you want to do. For me the engine is great because of this, you have a huge power band to play with when you're "on it" and that lovely "boosty" feeling when you're cruising and call for more as you get that initial turbo rush which I think is great.

The M fettled ZF8 is more than up to the job, not as emotional as the MDCT but its not going to be, the shifts are whip crack fast in D3 or S3 and of course it's a much better gearbox if you let it swap the cogs than the DCT in auto mode, but it lacks the direct feel of MDCT when you take hold of the paddles yourself.