First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
Like putting running shoes on a hippo ... a carbon roof on an SUV is hardly going to make a difference to the already high centre of gravity is it now?
Reading comprehension - I said metal roof, not CF and yes, a metal roof can make a difference compared to the heavy ass glass and frame of a panoramic roof. Do you really think the last two generations of M3s saved a ton of weight and center of gravity effect from a CF vs steel roof? Yes? Well there you go - panoramic roof to slick top is probably just as big of a gain.

And besides, some people don't want the sunroof and care more about rollover and reliability issues from a roof that is 2/3rds glass vs traditional metal.

We already put the running shoes on the hippo, but are they spikes or long distance waffles?
Agree a solid roof would be lighter on any car but the M3 was genuinely lighter than its contemporaries all up and the carbon roof was standard to assist in achieving that goal (as well as it being marketing of course - not sure how many mortals could feel the difference the roof makes in the M3).

The X3 M has been unfortunately engineered to be heavier than all its contemporaries. That seems like a massive oversight to me from BMW to enter a category for the first time with a good looking SUV, proper M engineering and end up heavier than nearly everyone - even the Merc GLC63S which is equiped with more cylinders, air suspension and is more plush in general.

All that weight means needing a suspension setup to contain the mass riding up high and rather predictably that has spoiled the ride somewhat. Reducing over 2000 kg's worth of SUV by single digits removing the sunroof... like I said ... hardly worth it in reality but each to their own.
Appreciate 1
2011zx10R427.00