Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
PS: Don't anyone get me started about why I dislike cruises and issues with Maritime law....
by all means get started. do all laws go out the window once you leave port?
Ugh, I am a lawyer, but not a Martime lawyer so my knowledge is very general. Here it goes, Maritime law is a difficult area of law when it comes to sorting out jurisdiction. Generally speaking, when in international waters, the home of the ship (whatever flag is on the ship) determines the laws that apply on this ship. But it is not always that clean cut because of territorial, contiguous and internal waters which also affect jurisdiction. To take it a step further, when in territorial and internal waters, the laws of that country apply instead of the laws of the place where ship is registered. This is why American victims of crimes that take place on cruise ships often do not receive justice. Also, you might think that suing someone civilly will help, but often that route is a minefield too. You might think taking a cruise on an American registered cruise line will help, but, to my knowledge, no American registered cruise lines exist (and if they do you are out of luck when in internal, territorial and contiguous waters). Why do you think that is???