View Single Post
      04-30-2024, 10:12 AM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem40i View Post
The big thing to remember is that most tire places are not going to do it due to liability reasons. They can't confirm with enough confidence that there was no further damage done to the run-flat. Each manufacturer has strict guidelines on when a patch can be performed. By the time you get to the tire place there's no way they can confirm that those guidelines were followed. The fact that you got yours repaired is a unique situation but most times professional tire places will say no. When it comes to handling the run-flat does not and cannot perform and provide the same ride comfort as a non-run flat. It's just physics. Whether or not you're okay with the way yours feel is completely subjective however if you compare that same Tire to its equivalent non-run flat you would notice the difference right away. Performance testing also shows the difference

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-gar...es-be-repaired
I don’t at all doubt your point about the physics of a stiffer sidewall. It does seem that experience and technological advancements have improved RFT performance above the earlier models. As to patching, Discount Tire/America’s Tire/Tire Rack are one very large company with a national footprint. Experience and knowledge appears to have advanced repair techniques as a tread puncture repair was accepted by them as a non-issue, even before they knew the tire brand (It was Michelin). This does not seem to any longer be an exception. As to ride, yes, the same tire with a non-RFT sidewall will be more compliant. However, product development seems to have evolved to provide a much more pleasing ride than previously. The 19” Dueler performance is well within a range that I believe most would find more than acceptable. We find it comfortable. If someone wishes the benefits of RFT, I don’t believe earlier experiences are a current reason for continuing the same level of skepticism as years past.
Appreciate 2