Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Does it do it in the same location every time?

I had a problem with my CarPlay connection every day on my commute when I boarded a ferry across a river. The person collecting the toll had a handheld device which connects to the ferry via wifi. Every time they approached my car the CarPlay connection dropped out, and reconnected as the person walked away. All I can work out is that their unit was on the same wifi channel as the BMW wifi, and that unit caused the car signal to be overpowered. Unfortunately you cannot change the wifi channel used by the car.

I had a similar issue with GPS occasionally on the same ferry. The car's position on the satnav would freeze on the side of the river where the journey started. When I continued the journey, the car would move on the sat nav screen (using the car speed and direction to estimate change of position), but would be in the wrong place by about the width of the river. About 20 mins later it regained a GPS lock and positioned me correctly. This issue did not affect my TomTom GPS. Very strange.
This is the primary answer…. (See other related threads). I don’t use CarPlay to/fom work each day because it drops in the EXACT same locations every time (and then proceeds to have many of the same issues as OP). But on weekends, I use CarPlay almost exclusively and it works fine. It’s just the one dang area on a certain road… it has to be a Wifi/Cell related in my case (whether that is the car’s issue or my 13 Pro’s issue, not sure).
Appreciate 0