04-18-2024, 03:14 AM   #35
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roche View Post
I think the point avi66 is making is that this information isn't easily available to 'the layman'. And, if these small differences can lead to such catastrophic (and expensive) problems, then that info should be very much readily available.

That TIS document is available to BMW technicians or, generally, people in the know.

For the average owner with an X3, there is no mention of these requirements in the owners manual/handbook, or in other easily accessible documents that an owner would have.
That's exactly my point.

The user manual talks at length about tyre pressure, changing wheels etc, but no mention that a 2mm (which is tiny) tread variance can screw up your Xdrive.

My BMW car manual has a section on tyres, including safety points and warnings, such as "Do not swap between front and rear axles". As far as I can see, there is no mention of 2mm tread variance, even in the section on "Tyre Tread", which warns of a minimum tread depth for summer and winter tyres.

According to the linked TIS pdf, if we needed to replace a single front tyre, and the rear tyres had less tread than a new front, you would need to replace both rear tyres and also the other front if the new tyre was more than 2mm different. It's a shit show and essentially means changing all 4 tyres in a situation when a single tyre replacement triggers the threshold. Given the cost of this and the likelihood of needing to replace tyres, I don't recall reading about this in any G01 reviews this was raised as a cost of ownership issue.

Last edited by avi66; 04-18-2024 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
Wgosma810.50
lfdal541063.00