View Single Post
      01-31-2024, 11:35 AM   #59
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebie3 View Post
The fall out from the noise will depend on what the source of the noise actually is. If it's something like the splines having excess space between them causing them to "knock" in start/stop situations, it's possible that eventually the splines will either degrade and get worse or end up sheering at some point. This could leave you stranded destroying both the diff and the driveshaft. If this is your issue, it will inevitably get worse with time.

If, let's say, the noise was from the diff carrier bolt and it finally lets lose it can take out the diff/t case/drive shaft as well as cause some amount of damage to the underside of the car depending on how much the back half of the diff flails around.

IMO It's hard to say what the exact damage would be in any situation because each failure is a little bit different. Some are very spectacular and others mundane lol.
i should have worded my question differently. Your correct and i agree with that completely along with assuming what you describe... I guess stated better: i think this is exactly my noise and i'm bothered by the fact that the tolerance is such that it allows for this and furthermore that the answer is friggin lock tight... wow.
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 1
joebie3338.50