View Single Post
      01-25-2024, 02:01 PM   #15
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Definitions are ever-evolving and rarely black and white - especially with this topic. It's been beaten to death - but you have to ask yourself where you draw the line? Virtually all cars are heavier, and manual transmissions are all but extinct.

In my mind there's varying degrees of "sportiness" rather than a binary definition of what is or isn't a "sports car". If you're calling them all GT cars (i.e. the M2) - then what does that make cars like the 8 series... MORE GT-ness? You see what I'm getting at here? It's a spectrum, not a binary definition.

Sure, BMW coupes & sedans may gravitate more towards the GT spectrum - but compared to what? Compared to their direct rivals (Audi & Mercedes), I'd say they're very well still on the sportier side. The difference now is they also come with better quality materials and build quality.
I agree that there should be more categories to split up the GT section (more or less heavy posh do-everything-for-you crap), but disagree that the parameters I laid out do not constitute a Sports Car. There is no evolving correctness. It is what it is. 4-door, 4-seat, FWD/AWD, heavy, Coupe, automatic? No damn way you'll ever get me to agree that those are Sports Cars.

The GT category is FAT, just like the cars. The Sports Car category is skinny, just like the cars.
Appreciate 0