10-27-2023, 02:56 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasbmwx3 View Post
...I used Castrol Edge 5w-30 European formula A3/B4. Now it appears that BMW recommends this oil any longer. Is it safe to use the Castrol Edge for my next oil change or would someone recommend another brand of oil. Thank you.
If the viscosity is correct for your car...and nothing happened during the last oil change...I doubt it will destroy your engine if you used it again.

When you go into the owners manual embedded into iDrive and you search for "OIL"...is the viscosity you previously used correct? The images below were from my 2013 650ix GC (check what your BMW says to verify you're using the correct oil viscosity):

When you say BMW no longer recommends this oil...what do you mean? Or where did you hear/read/see this info?

BMW usually gets courted by various oil/gas suppliers...and will take money from the highest bidder. The last brand that I can remember was Shell. I don't know if they are still the recommended oil/gas supplier or not. But if that's what you're referring to...then no. The Castrol Euro 52-30 is still "safe". They just didn't pay BMW for the recommendation.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0