Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 GO1

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mct128i View Post
I'm pleased to report that I was able to replace my upper radiator hose today and fix the leak (and save myself > $2,300).

It's not at all necessary to remove the intake manifold (as Long Beach BMW had quoted). By disconnecting and removing the ECU and then removing it and its carrier (mounted on the driver side wheel arch in the engine compartment) there is just adequate room to see and access the rear connection of the radiator hose where it connects to the engine block.

Since the part is relatively inexpensive and also made out of plastic, I elected to replace the connecting pipe as well - this is a short plastic pipe with a flange and seal that mounts to the engine block using 3 T8 fasteners and a male fitting that connects to the radiator hose. Removing the old pipe was easy but, lining up the new pipe and getting the fasteners installed took some patience.

Here are some pictures showing the underside of the old/leaking hose fitting at the radiator end where it was leaking - a poor design in my opinion since there are likely to be high structural stresses in the crease between the main hose and the small T. Also, a picture of the removed connecting pipe.
Hey , happy to see that you were able to repair it yourself and save thousands of dollars . I have a 2018 that was CPO and had a hose that went to the expansion tank that was replaced under the CPO warranty. I had to bring it back twice because they didn’t fix it the first time but ended up replacing the hose and a new expansion tank under CPO warranty. Not sure why they said hoses aren’t covered . Must be a dealer to dealer thing . Glade you got it fixed buy DIY !
Sapphire Black 2013 X3 28i ,
Jet Black 2007 X3 3.0 Liter

Last edited by X3rd Time Is a Charm; 10-23-2023 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0