09-25-2023, 03:52 AM   #44
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
I read an article that suggested an estimated 3% of UK car owners use winter tyres, but not sure about all season.

The issue for BMW UK drivers is * marked options for OE wheel sizes, and I’d imagine it’s a tiny % that would change wheel size and tyre for winter.

In decades or driving all over the UK including the Highlands in winter, I’ve never used anything but the stock tyres without incident.
This winter will be the first time that I'll have switched to a dedicated winter tyre and the only reason I'm doing that, is the fact that I've spent so much money on a car.

That in itself is not a very good reason and I realise that but for me its not much of an outlay in terms of cost, than sticking to dedicated summer tyre and having an accident, which I've came very close to in a number of occasions because I've lost control of the vehicle simply because I've had summer tyres on in snowy conditions. Plus my daughter borrows my X3 from time to time so I'd rather be over cautious than not.

Now that I've spent the money on extra wheels, the costs will be simply down to tyres, which a set a winters should last at least 2 seasons.

But I agree, the vast majority of UK drivers won't require dedicated winters but they certainly have their place in the market and make a noted difference to driving in harsh, snow conditions.
Modifications - AutoID Front Splitter. DTUK Pedalbox Plus. Gloss Black M Badges. 3d Maxpider Kuga Floor Matts & Cargo liner. BMW M-Performance Flow Through Spoiler. Mid-Trunk Spoiler. 15mm Spacers all round. AP Arch Guards. X3M Side Vents. 699M Wheels Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
Sportstick5053.50