danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
OEM Digital Key Retrofit

OEM Digital Key Retrofit

So ever since I was first ordering the car nearly two years ago (crap has it been that long already?), there were two items from the original build order that was not included with the F97 LCI; the laser lights and digital key. The laser headlights I could live without since the DRL design are exactly the same between the two, but the one thing that upset me was the dreaded 32Z build code… “Deletion of BMW Digital Key”.

It’s a small detail that no one really cares about, but I’ve always been a bit of a gadget nerd and have always wanted Digital Key in my next BMW ever since it was first announced back in 2020. Unfortunately with the chip shortage, BMW had gone nearly ten months building X3Ms without digital key until they started showing up last year.

Luckily, with the help of thestimp and Tim@codemybimmer who have pioneered this entire project (you guys are the best), I was able to retrofit digital key to the car. Obviously, some basic coding was involved, and after installing the necessary NFC pad, cup holders, door handle, and some additional wiring, all that was left was getting the updated VO to BMW servers. Luckily, the most recent remote software upgrade was available so I was able to download/install that and save an extra trip to the dealer.

I did run into an issue with getting the digital key onto my watch (unpairing + pairing did the trick), but other than that, using it has been seamless. It’s already been one week since I haven’t used my keys at all and the experience has been a joy. I unlock the car with my watch and place my phone onto to the charger and I’m ready to go. It’s been 100% reliable when it comes to the NFC reading and I have yet to experience any issues with it.

Most don’t see a need and/or prefer their keyfob, but personally, having one less damn thing in my pocket has been awesome.

And seriously, a huge thanks again to thestimp and Tim@codemybimmer for tackling this project and answering all of my annoying and asinine questions.

BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 3