turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by COM40 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobeagle View Post
To be fair, some minivans are in the 6s in terms of 0-60. If the 30i and the minivan both gunned it at a light, I don’t think the X3 would be able to pass before getting to the typical next light. Cars are just really fast these days.

Motortrend:
Honda Odyssey: 6.6s
X3 30i sdrive: 6.5s
5-60 times are probably a better indicator of real world performance since the X3 will benefit from launch control and AWD from a dig. Car and Driver has the 30i at 7.5s and Odyssey at 6.7s. X3 is also a good bit slower in the midrange acceleration tests.

The 30i would've been adequate, but the purpose of the X3 personally was a 2nd car that was more entertaining. If you try to rationalize it, the M40i (or the performance trim of any car for that matter) makes no sense. I WFH and generally drive pretty conservatively, but the sound, power, and handling make the B58 premium well worth it on open roads and on ramps. Granted I bought mine used so the premium was a bit smaller than buying new.
That’s pretty wild, and not surprising. I have learned not to mess with minivans that are darting around (even in my M40i). They are often traveling with purpose (gotta get those kids to practice on time) and when they gun it, they are not slow.

There are so many sleeper cars out there now and power is a broken game. What matters is feel. I used to have a 3.3T Stinger, and that is a perfect example of a checkbox ticker, that falls flat in real world enjoyment. Sure it could get to 60 in the 4s, but it felt like crap doing so. I would much rather have a 2L B48+ZF8 over that.
Appreciate 2