vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Right. It's essentially an air-gapped system, so you'd need a monitor on the NVR or some fancy routing setup. Or does the NVR not act like a switch where you can set up routing through it? I suppose you could put the entire NVR system on its own vlan.
The NVR doesn't switch or route for anything plugged into it PoE ports. The NVR's data port behaves normally for accessing it through network clients.

I have our NVR hooked up to the big screen TV via an HDMI input, but only really use it when I'm watching TV and hear something unusual outside. Amcrest's NVR's all only support USB mice for their sole input, and don't include the HID code to operate a USB keyboard.

The MacOS SmartPSS app does an OK job for looking at videos and stuff, although it seems to be written in Java and has more than its share of buggy quirks. My DW uses the Amcrest iOS app on her phone to check in on OCD psycho dog when I'm not home, and I have never heard her complain about problems using it other than latency when re-pointing a camera using PTZ.....