View Single Post
      08-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #1
mmns999
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4MC; AY M4; F25 X3; 328(sold)

Unhappy 2011 X3 with weird engine/transmission issue - opinions wanted!

Hi Everyone,
I've done all the Googling I can but can't seem to find someone else that has had the same issue I have, so I thought I would reach out here.

I have a new to me 2011 x3 28i xDrive (i.e. the N52) at around 96,000 miles. When the car comes to a stop at a red light, it some times shudders/has a rough idle as if the engine is misfiring (though I feel like it is starting to happen more frequently). The first time it happened, it felt like some one rear ended/tapped the rear of the car. When it happens the RPMs will blip higher, from a steady 600 to ~1,000 or a tad under.

The car is not throwing any CELs, seems to get normal MPG (~23 mpg, mostly city), and does not hesitate when accelerating. The car also shows no issue when it is moving. There is also no difference with AC off or on.

I am stumped and can't seem to find the cause; I wish it would just throw a CEL so I know what is exactly wrong with it. The following is what I have done to see what could be wrong:
  • I have read online that it could be a faulty MAF sensor, but that doesn't seem to be the culprit. I have switched the MAF with a different one, cleaned it, and also unplugged the thing to see if the car runs differently, but none of that worked, still has the shuddering at the lights.
  • I've inspected all the inlet hoses to the throttle body and there are no cracks. Put in a a new air filter.
  • There are no leaks along the head gasket that I can see.
  • The coils and spark plugs do not have any oil in the chamber.
  • No signs of oil around the air inlets from the intake manifold to the engine or around the throttle body (so I don't think its a ruptured PCV system, but I could be wrong).

The previous owner has had some of coils and spark plugs changed (I think only pistons 2 and 4 or something like that; I think he didn't change all of them because his mechanic was taking him for a ride with the pricing he was charging off of parts and labor from what I can tell of the receipts). I am hesitant to change all the coils and plugs since there is no misfire CEL. The O2 sensors and battery was also recently replaced. Finally, I believe the TC and diff fluids have not been changed (could that be it?)

Does anyone have any idea what it can be? What could be causing all this without a CEL?

I'm thinking of actually taking off the intake manifold to check for cracks when I have the time. Does anyone know how to get the electronics off of it (I think its the DME)?

Any input is appreciated!

Cheers,
mmns
Appreciate 0