View Single Post
      04-13-2022, 06:32 PM   #5
abg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440, BMW X3

It took 18 days for my X3 to travel from SC to Richmond, CA last fall. It then took another 9 days to get to the dealer (in Santa Clara). There are lots of places where delay can occur. The rail trip to CA actually switches trains in St Louis, IIRC, from Norfolk Southern to another railroad and my car sat there for a day waiting to switch between railroad companies. It also sat in Barstow, CA for 2 days for unknown reasons. Maybe the car carrier it was in was waiting for a northbound train to connect to. As for being stuck in Richmond, the problem was apparently an inability for the dealer to find a truck to bring it 50 miles south.

I had a lot of fun tracking the voyage with the Norfolk Southern phone tracking service. One of my sisters made a faux wanted poster for my vehicle as it was taking so long to show up. It also turns out that there are a lot of places that have names only because of some obscure RR depot or other structure and those names often don't exist on normal maps (or Google maps).

Hopefully yours will get here soon.
Enjoy!
Appreciate 0