02-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #72
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///minh View Post
Thank you for the information.

Well, took her out and I got the same issue. Both screen dimmed but was still visible to a point. It's annoying and a flaw nonetheless. Hopefully they can come out an update to fix this.

The cluster I can live with. But I need the control screen for back out and in. Glad it's not completely dark like others experienced.
You can fix the control screen through bimmercode. I think I put the instructions in the thread.

Do not count on a fix - BMW rarely does that.

I was ready to file a complaint with the NTHSA as it is flat out dangerous as it can be impossible to see the backup camera on very sunny days. Last thing you need is a kid on a bike to zoom into your path and you can't see them.

But, fixing the control screen calmed me down.

Edit - A few pages up but here you go:

Bimmercode Instructions
These were the instructions I used (modified) which I believe Kevin on the Supra MKV forum posted so credit to him:

1- start bimmercode app and connect and select BMW for car
2- select BMW X3/X3M (or X4/X4M)
3- select Headunit
4- select Expert Mode at top
5- select 3005 DISPLAY_PIP_CONFIG
6- scroll WAY down and select DIM_VARIANT (or search)
7- change setting from NEW to OLD
8- click OK.
9- Then backup on screens to the HEADUnit ECU screen.
10- select CODE at top right. Accept risk and let it do its thing.

It will wipe out the 8 hot keys so you will need to remember what you set them to. This will enable the Brightness control to be used during Daytime. It will now say Brightness versus Brightness during Nighttime. If the dealer ever does a ECU flash you will have to redo this,

Edit 2 - I reread your post, specifically that it was not totally dark. I cannot say mine was black but with sun glasses on a sunny day it was nearly unreadable.

For a long time when I first got the car I thought it was my imagination (or vision going bad) but then realized it is a design flaw.

Once you make the change in Bimmercode it will be shockingly bright. So much so it might be too bright at night but I quickly adjusted.

Last edited by spta97; 02-25-2022 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 2