02-07-2022, 02:32 PM   #24
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991C2 View Post
My grandfather loved to go to the races in the late '60s and early '70s. He would go to everything from Indycar to dirt track racing and he loved to time laps, so the chrono function on the Daytona was perfect.
It didn't hurt that Rolex couldn't really sell these watches when they were new.
He ended up getting a deal on the watch at the time since it was just sitting at the dealer for a while. I think he said around $300.
I was literally the only person in our family that even remotely liked watches and I would talk to him often about them. I don't ever remember him wearing it, but he showed it to me often and it was just kept in the safe.
I was shocked when he willed it to me. The ironic thing is, no one in the family even knows how much it's really worth. They just think it's a Rolex so it's expensive, they just don't know how much.
Now it's insured for about as much as my house replacement LOL! It's no leaving my wrist anytime soon either.
That's an awesome story, and it's great to see that you're keeping it in the family - and putting it to use. It's just going to continue to go up in value really.

2022 X3 M40i
E46 330i ZHP, E90, E89 Z4, F30 320i "Jalopnik Edition", F80 Comp, F80 CS
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1312.50